COVID-19 Vaccination Policy and Educational Program
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
The purpose of this policy is to outline organizational expectations with regards to COVID-19 immunization of employees, staff, contractors, volunteers and students.
Contingent upon vaccine availability, all eligible employees, staff, contractors, volunteers and students are strongly encouraged to receive a COVID-19 vaccine, unless it is medically contraindicated.
Protege School recognizes the importance of immunization of employees, staff, contractors, volunteers and students, due to the nature of their work with vulnerable patients and seniors and the potential for exposure in the community. This COVID-19 immunization policy aims to protect the Protege School’s population including patients, employees, staff, contractors, volunteers and students.
COVID-19 is an acute respiratory illness caused by the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). It may be characterized by fever, cough, shortness of breath, and several other symptoms. Asymptomatic infection is also possible. The risk of severe disease increases with age but is not limited to the elderly and is elevated in those with underlying medical conditions.
Application of the Policy
Regardless of how often you are at Protege School and how much time they spend there or in their respective workplace, this policy applies to:
- Employees and staff including part-time and full-time
- contractors (including people on contract, and people employed by an employment agency or other third party)
- students and students on an educational placement
It is important to protect the health and well-being of Protege School’s employees, staff, contractors, volunteers, students, visitors and clients where there is evidence of a risk with identified measures for management. The Local Health Authorities and The Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities have directed Protege School to develop implement and ensure compliance with a COVID-19 vaccination policy.
To facilitate this policy all employees, staff, contractors, volunteers and students will be required to provide one of the following along with a COVID-19 Vaccination Declaration Form:
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccine administration as per the following requirements:
- If the individual has only received the first dose of a two-dose COVID-19 vaccination series approved by the World Health Organization proof that the first dose was administered and, as soon as reasonably possible, proof of administration of the second dose; or
- Proof of all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization
- Written proof of a medical reason, provided by either a physician or nurse practitioner that sets out:
- that the person cannot be vaccinated against COVID-19; and
- the effective time period for the medical reason (i.e., permanent or time-limited).
- Proof that the individual has completed an educational program approved by Protege School.
Employees, staff, contractors, volunteers and students who elect not to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination per 1 above, and rely on 2 or 3, are required to perform rapid antigen testing, at a frequency of not less than the number of times per week in alignment with provincial guidance, and provide verification of negative test results as specified by Protege School in person on the worksite, remotely via email.
Protege School complied this educational program based on the Resources Guide Provided by Provincial and Federal Health Authorities to address all of the following learning components:
- how COVID-19 vaccines work;
- vaccine safety related to the development of the COVID-19 vaccines;
- benefits of vaccination against COVID-19;
- risks of not being vaccinated against COVID-19; and
- possible side effects of COVID-19 vaccination.
Support for Vaccination
Protege School will provide the following supports for people subject to this policy to receive a vaccine: paid time off for vaccination day and 2 recovering days, assistance with booking vaccine appointment, peer-to-peer support, makeup tutorial sessions for students taking absence for vaccination.
Non-compliance with the policy
In accordance with Protégé School’s human resources policies, collective agreements and applicable legislation, directives, and policies expecting its population to comply with this COVID-19 Vaccination Policy; non-compliance with the policy may subject to disciplinary action(s).
Statistical information (non-identifiable) will be collected and maintained by Protege School on individuals who provided proof of vaccination, medical reasons for not being vaccinated, and participation in educational programs. This information will be maintained in a secure fashion and only disclosed to the Ministry of Health as required.
- COVID-19 Vaccination Education Video (Dr. Nathan Stall for AdvantAge Ontario)
- About COVID-19 Vaccines (Ontario Ministry of Health)
- **bilingual**Building Confidence in Vaccines [English] and Accroître la confiance à l’égard des vaccins [French] (Public Health Ontario)
- Communicating effectively about immunization: Canadian Immunization Guide (Government of Canada)
- **multilingual** Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Awareness resources (Government of Canada); You must watch all the videos in this link. More COVID-19 Awareness and Promotional Resources (Immunize Canada) and Vaccine stories to share with you
- Ontario’s doctors answer COVID-19 vaccine questions (Ontario Medical Association)
- Information on Rapid Antigen Testing